Myth: The US military routinely used inhumane tactics on the people, while the VC were benefactors
Fact: This is one of the most scurrillous accusations of the war. It is completely and provably false.
- No one has ever found a single document stating that it was US policy to commit atrocities.
- Numerous documents exist proving that it was official policy of the North Vietnamese government to commit atrocities.
- The worst known incident from the Vietnam War of atrocities committed by American troops was the My Lai massacre - 504 were murdered.
- The worst known incident from the Vietnam War of atrocities committed by the communists was the Tet massacre in Hue - more than 5000 were murdered.
- Critics point to US bombing as evidence of atrocities, however, the location and impact of those bombs is never discussed.
- The rules of engagement for Vietnam were so crazy that President Johnson once boasted that the Air Force "couldn't hit an outhouse without [his] permission".